Thursday, June 4, 2015

Nanny: Meri Kadic

As our work term ends in Sarajevo and we are leaving in August, I would like to recommend our nanny, Meri Kadic, who has been with us caring for our kids for the last year and a half. Before we hired Meri, we have gotten excellent recommendations of her previous family with whom she was for eight years. They also needed to leave Sarajevo and were very sad to leave Meri behind. But hiring Meri was proven to be the best choice we could make.


To us, Meri has been a friend and ‘the greatest help’ that we can only dream of and for my kids (son - 3.5 and daughter - 7.5), Meri has become ‘the Meri Poppins’ that they absolutely love and adore. There are so many things to tell about Meri and her work. From the first day she started working with us, my son flourished in all of his abilities and characteristics. Before Meri started working with us, my son was very shy and did not want to communicate or play with kids, but that immediately changed once Meri came to work for us. She organized playdates, took him to playgrounds, walks, parks, Zoo. So, in the last year and a half, he made so many friends that he sometimes is the reason people know us in town – we became ‘Misha’s parents’ J To my daughter, Meri became the best play-friend as well, they do a lot of dress up games and silly things that my daughter needs after school to be able to relax. Every day, Meri comes to our house with a planned day with wonderful events and activities. There are plenty of surprises for kids, so they are looking forward seeing her every morning coming through the door.


For us as parents, Meri has become an extension to us rather than just a nanny. There were several occasions where my husband and I were on business trips and Meri had to stay with kids alone. There were a couple of times where those trips lasted for 2 weeks. We did not have any hesitations to leave kids with Meri for such a prolonged time. Every day, we received a huge note from Meri on how the day went, what the kids ate, where they went, how my daughter’s school day was, etc. etc. All the details and pictures of each day possible. This was just wonderful to receive when we were out of town. Meri stepped in a lot with scheduling doctors’ appointments, grocery lists, finding places to have kids’ brithdays at, and many more things that we needed help with. Meri was very flexible when we asked her to stay longer during the day or when we needed to go out in the evenings or weekends. In the last year and a half, Meri was never late to work, always punctual and trustworthy. If and only because of weather conditions, she was going to be late, she would sent me SMS way in advance to prepare me for what might be happening, but still come on time. Meri speaks excellent English and she grew up in Germany, so she speaks German like native. But with my kids, she spoke Bosnian and it was funny that both of my kids speak better Bosnian than me and my husband do and my daughter translates things for us on occasion.


Meri will be available in August for full time or part time job. I would be happy to provide more details or answer any questions. My phone number before August – 0603207629 (Lina) or email before or after August – lina_ya@hotmail.com. We will all miss Meri tremendously, but I have no doubt that the family that Meri works for next, will be the lucky one J
Meri’s contact details: merikadic@hotmail.com or 061446835.